Top Five Modern Mistakes People Make in a Restaurant
1. Conflict: Food and Communication. Many people go for meeting people, communicating and going on dates to restaurants, and many of them think that if you go to a restaurant you must eat, and the most pragmatic of them go to restaurant hungry.
Wrong! First of all you have a date, and that’s the main circumstance that guides you – where the date actually takes place is the second thing. You go on dates to communicate : listen and talk, so don’t waste time for chewing and be an orator.
2. Place: Hangout or Communicate. You need to thoroughly choose a place for your upcoming meeting, even if you’ve already decided that it will be a restaurant. Namely, you need to pay attention to the music: first of all verify whether they offer it, and if they do, select the location of your table accordingly.
Just imagine you trying to talk to a business partner or a girl you are trying to attract in the same time struggling with the band that is rocking near your table and trying to shout louder then the band’s leader to be heard – that must be taken care of beforehand.
3. Bill: the “Who Pays” Dilemma. Sometimes a pleasant evening can end up with an uncomfortable situation when one or more participants doubt who should pay and get confused having hard time figuring it out. This happens to almost anyone who has a meeting in restaurant not with a friend but with a business partner or just someone whom you distantly know.
The only way to avoid that is to know a consistent way to act in such situations, and here is the rule: if you say “I invite” then you pay, if a woman invites a business partner then she pays, and if the invitation sounds like “let’s go to a restaurant” then everyone pays for him/herself.
4. Greeting People. Naturally, you should be greeting people in restaurant the way different from how you do it elsewhere, and if you doubt how, follow this simple formula: if someone joins a group of people who are sitting at a restaurant table he/she says a greeting word, and those who are sitting just nod, no shaking hands; if it’s a woman who arrived and she came up to you it is necessary to stand up when you are greeting her.
5. Mobile. This must be the simplest rule for a restaurant visitor, just three short words: turn it off. Whatever you are going to a restaurant for, to eat or to communicate, it conflicts with mobile devices usage. If you are in charge and it may happen that an urgent affair arises and you must be always in touch, make sure to switch you mobile phone to vibrate-mode, and if it calls find a calm and lonely place for a conversation.
It’s really sad to observe someone making half of a restaurant listen to his/her favorite song and then super important phone conversation: don’t be one of those people, don’t make anyone sad.